You must be living under a rock if you haven't heard about the keto diet. The keto diet is a short term for the ketogenic diet, which works on the principle of ketosis. This diet was initially used to treat patients with neural disorders such as epilepsy. However, it transitioned into the field of weight loss and took the world by storm due to its quick calorie-burning properties.
One of the main reasons the keto diet has been such a huge success is the type of food one eats on this diet. The word dieting usually makes us think of bland, poor-tasting food that would deprive our taste buds of delicious things. However, this diet has been a game-changer and a dream come true since you can have all the cheese and high-fat food your heart desires on the keto diet.
We know it sounds too good to be true, but that's just how it works. This is a zero carb diet where you take all the energy from fat, which induces the state of ketosis in your body, leading to fat burning. We have further rounded up all the scientific evidence you will need to understand how this revolutionary diet helps in weight loss.
1. All About KetosisAs mentioned before, the keto diet reduces weight, mainly due to ketosis, and we shall now discuss it in detail. Carbohydrates are usually the main source of energy for our body. Therefore, when you consume carbs, they increase the insulin levels in your body that hinder the process of fat loss.
However, the keto diet is a low-carb diet that manages insulin levels in the body and promotes fat burning. Furthermore, once you start consuming fat as the main source of energy, your body produces ketone bodies due to fat breakdown. The production of ketones from fat disintegration is known as ketosis, and it is the main driving factor behind weight loss in the keto diet.
2. Appetite SuppressionThe keto diet holds power to carry out the herculean task of suppressing your appetite. Considering how most people usually feel hungry most of the time and end up consuming excessive calories, hunger suppression would be the ideal solution to promote weight loss.
Intense hunger pangs while following a diet are also why people are unable to keep following their 'healthy' dietary routine. However, the keto diet works like a charm since it focuses on cutting out all carbs from your diet and focus on fat and protein intake, which keeps you feeling full for a longer time. This increased satiety is ideal for promoting weight loss.
3. Reduced Levels of TriglyceridesFor those who don't know, triglycerides are the molecules of fat found in our bloodstream. Triglycerides are not terrible for your heart health, but they also promote weight gain. A diet that is low in fat promotes elevated levels of triglycerides, whereas a high-fat diet reduces their concentration.
A diet that is high in carbohydrates, particularly fructose, is one of the main culprits behind the increased rates of triglycerides in the bloodstream. Since the keto diet is a low carb diet, it automatically reduces the body's triglycerides levels.
4. Well-Balanced Insulin and Blood Sugar ConcentrationOne of the main reasons behind excessive weight gain is the distressing state of insulin resistance. Insulin resistance is highly common globally, and research shows that a diet that is low in carbohydrates can do wonders for managing blood insulin and sugar levels.
A low carb diet is ideal for decreasing insulin resistance and blood sugar as it's less in sugar itself. Therefore, it prevents further sugar in the bloodstream and increases the cellular uptake of insulin from the bloodstream. Both these properties are highly effective in weight loss promotion as well.
5. Reduced Storage of FatSince the keto diet is famous for burning fat, it diminishes all the body's fat reserves. Furthermore, this is a low-carb diet, which means the body needs a new primary energy source that comes from fat. According to research, the keto diet also works to diminish lipogenesis. Lipogenesis is the process that transforms sugar into fat.
You might find it surprising to learn that carbs are the main culprit behind weight gain and visceral fat development as it's the carbs that are transformed into fat in our body at the end of the day. The carbohydrates are stored as fat, but when there are reduced carbohydrates, the fats are burned by the body to obtain energy.
6. Increased Protein IntakeProtein also plays a major role in the keto diet as it's not just about a reduced carbohydrate and increased sugar intake. The keto diet also includes and enhanced protein consumption. Protein is famous for increasing metabolism and reducing hunger. It also keeps you full for a longer time, so you end up consuming fewer calories.
It is common knowledge that proteins are the building blocks for muscles, but most of you might not be aware of metabolic disruption due to excessive muscle loss. If you have an ample protein intake, you will lose weight while keeping your muscle mass intact. In turn, this would have a beneficial impact on your metabolism that would help you lose more weight.
7. Final WordThe keto diet is extremely famous due to its quick results. Many people have lost up to 10 kgs in one month of following this diet. The ketogenic diet gives safe and effective results that last for a long time, and now you know how this diet works to help you achieve your weight loss goals.
Kris Gunnars, "10 Health Benefits of Low-Carb and Ketogenic Diets", November 20, 2018, https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/10-benefits-of-low-carb-ketogenic-diets
Amanda Mcdonald, "5 Weight Loss Benefits People Have Experienced on the Keto Diet", August 7, 2020, https://www.eatthis.com/keto-weight-loss-benefits-survey
Rhonda Ting, Nicolas Dugré, G. Michael Allan, Adrienne J. Lindblad, "Ketogenic diet for weight loss," December, 2018, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6371871
Antonio Paoli, "Ketogenic Diet for Obesity: Friend or Foe?", February 19, 2014, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3945587/
Thank you to all our Writers and Bloggers who shares their expertise, ideas and research work!