Who doesn't love a refreshing glass of orange juice or lemonade? While the tangy taste of oranges and lemons is widely popular across the world, it's also very beneficial for our overall health. Vitamin C is famous for fighting the flu and its anti-aging properties, but there's so much more to this wonder drug.
Vitamin C is found abundantly in most of the food we eat in a day, which is why anyone hardly suffers from Vitamin C deficiency. In simpler terms, you could consume one lemon each day, and it would fulfill your daily vitamin C requirement. However, there is a list of benefits that one can get from adequate vitamin C intake that has been mentioned below.
1. Powerful Antioxidant Antioxidants are beneficial compounds that protect your body from all sorts of oxidative damage. They keep your body safe from the harmful activity of free radicals by neutralizing them. Antioxidants also play a vital role in safeguarding against various serious ailments.
Vitamin C is the king of all antioxidants and consuming vitamin C also enhances the concentration of antioxidants in your body. This increased antioxidant quantity improves the innate defense mechanism of your body and wards off any sort of inflammation. Vitamin C also helps with your workout routine as it prevents the onset of oxidative stress caused by intense exercise.
2. Reduces Uric Acid Concentration High uric acid levels is not a healthy sign as it can lead to arthritis. This disease is highly distressing as it causes joint inflammation and swelling, which makes it difficult to carry out your daily tasks. Uric acid is a byproduct of the human body that accumulates in the joints causing pain.
However, vitamin C has the properties to decrease uric acid concentration and offers protection against gout accumulation. Various studies have been conducted that show a positive impact of vitamin C intake on managing gout issues.
3. Reduced Blood Pressure Vitamin C is a terrific diuretic that helps in the removal of excess sodium from your body. It urges the kidneys to carry out an improved detox process and causes a reduction in blood pressure by relaxing the blood vessels. Since hypertension is directly linked to heart diseases, reduced blood pressure also means improved heart health.
4. Enhanced Cardiovascular Health Millions of people across the world suffer from various heart issues, and there are several causative factors that lead to heart malfunction, and the leading ones are high levels of cholesterol and hypertension. As discussed before, vitamin C does wonders for managing high blood pressure but what might come as a surprise to you is its cholesterol regulating properties.
5. People who consume vitamin C supplements have found a decrease in their triglyceride and LDL levels. Both these compounds lead to the formation of harmful cholesterol, which deposits in the blood vessels and leads to heart complications.
6. Improved Immunity Vitamin C is a brilliant immunity booster. In fact, it prevents the development of a serious life-threatening disease such as scurvy. This disease was discovered on the sea when numerous sailors died due to the lack of vitamin C, which is why all ships are now well-equipped with vitamin C.
Vitamin C also prevents you from the most common ailment of them all, the common cold or flu. Vitamin C protects the body from all these diseases by boosting internal immunity by decreasing inflammation. It also helps to combat several allergies and infections.
7. Improved Uptake of Iron Vitamin C is famous for enhancing the absorption of iron in your body. So, if you have vitamin C, not only will you get its benefits, but you will also get the additional benefits of iron.
Therefore, it's widely recommended to have any form of vitamin C, such as lemons, while consuming iron rich food. As iron is responsible for the oxygen transport in our body and prevents anemia, vitamin C intake will assist in improving the function of iron as well.
8. Healthier Skin Vitamin C is a magical ingredient when it comes to skincare. People who are obsessed with skincare must know all about the brilliant anti-aging properties of vitamin C. Vitamin C is an antioxidant, and it fights off free radicals, making your skin brighter and firmer by increasing collagen production.
It’s also highly effective in offering protection from sun damage. So, you should introduce a vitamin C serum into your skincare routine today or start having vitamin C supplements to boost your skin health. You could also pair vitamin C supplements with iron supplements to double the benefit.
9. Weight Loss of Inducing Effects Anyone who wants to lose weight knows the importance of the physical activity to achieve their weight loss goal. However, it becomes very challenging to manage your busy routine with the exertion from the tough workout regime, and your body becomes sore due to muscle cramping. This is where vitamin C comes in.
Vitamin C is ideal for preventing muscle cramps during exercise as it keeps your muscles properly functioning and helps to burn fat as well. To sum it up, Vitamin C will mitigate muscular cramping while inducing fat burning.
10. Improved Mental Health Vitamin C is known to enhance your mental well-being as it works to improve and uplift your mood. You must have noticed how the glass of OJ in the morning makes you all refreshed and gives you the kick you need to start your day. Well, that energy boost is given by none other than vitamin C. It also reduces the production of stress hormones in your body.
11. Better Eye Health One of the lesser-known benefits of vitamin C is its positive impact on eye health. Vitamin C works to mitigate the development of eye conditions such as cataracts and macular degeneration.
12. Final Word Vitamin C is a multi-talented micronutrient! It's full of numerous advantages that can take your overall health from ten to a hundred. If you want to experience any of our listed benefits, then try this miraculous vitamin today.
Ryan Raman, “7 Impressive Ways Vitamin C Benefits Your Body”, February 18, 2020, https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/vitamin-c-benefits
NDTV Food, “6 Amazing Vitamin C Benefits For Skin And Health”, July 20, 2018, https://food.ndtv.com/health/6-amazing-vitamin-c-benefits-for-skin-and-health-1426801
Anitra C. Carr1, Silvia Maggini, “Vitamin C and Immune Function," November 3, 2017, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5707683
Shailja Chambial, Shailendra Dwivedi, Kamla Kant Shukla, Placheril J. John, Praveen Sharma, “Vitamin C in Disease Prevention and Cure: An Overview," September 1, 2013, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3783921/